Sunday, June 6, 2010

my Saturday ride

I usually don't ride on Saturdays. It's one of my days off, but I didn't ride on Friday, and you all know my Thursday $1 activity, so I felt guilty and decided to go for a ride. I did my old normal route of 3 miles. Nothing too exciting to mention. No garage sales, no dead birds, no weedy lawns, etc. However, I did find two treasures: I am not a golfer, but the grandkids love balls of all kinds, and for the matches, I am always needing matches down in my bedroom to light yummy candles. Thanks to Susie, who has introduced me to Gold Canyon candles, I am hooked. I love the Birthday Cake and Sugar Cookie ones!! All of them are good. After my ride I walked out in our garden and WOW, within 2 days these grew from smallish into 'ginormous' zuchini. .
Griffin was complaining about how heavy it was to hold them. I should have weighed them, but (luckily), Julie and Ken stopped by, and we 'talked' them into taking some off of our hands. Thanks guys! We have, as others have warned, easily grown the zuchini and now we have to find neat and exciting ways to eat it all. (Or hope neighbors and family drop by every couple of days). Steaming is Doug's usual way to cook it, but I tried a deep-fried recipe on Friday and here is Allan trying them. Apparently, he didn't like it:

Gearing up... The shove in....
And the reaction.. Was he playing it up for the camera? I think so. Not only is Allan's face funny, but take a good look at Doug....I love it! The rest of the family really liked it! And we will be doing it again soon and all summer long it looks like.
Here is one more photo of my curio cabinet. It is antiqued, although you can't tell, but I like it and now I need to fill it with my stuff. I will be downsizing what goes in there though. I've been watching HGTV......less is best. It's pretty with the light on, huh? Later in the day, Doug made smoothies, hon, you're the best! Kai and Treyson really loved them.....

Um, yeah, they both seemed to get it on one spot on their forehead. Those are not matching bruises.

Okay last photo. I went to DI a couple of weeks ago. It is not one of my usual shops to go to, but I went in looking for material remnants, which I found a couple of pieces that I liked. One of them went on my piano stool (check older blog), but when I was there I saw all these bags of jewelry. Most of it was costumey, silly stuff, like the tiny seashell necklaces that everyone brings home from Hawaii and the mardi gras shiny beads, but in with all the 'stuff you wouldn't want' were some really nice things. Here is my favorite one: The computer doesn't do it justice, but it is cute. Light pink and diamondy jewels mixed in with the pearls. I love it. It was broken on one of the side flowers (be sure you click on it to enlarge) and all I had to do was get out my small pliers and hook it back together. Nice find.

No comments: