Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Hawaii Sunday- June 27

First foot in the ocean photo.
Tuesday morning and I'm just lazin' here in my Hawaii bed.
Yeah, it's a twin. And that's Doug's bed next to mine. Hey, when you get free housing you take it any way you can get it. Some friends of our daughter were going back to the 'mainland' for a family wedding and so their 2 bedroom apartment happened to be available the same week we were going to be here. Jill lives here in TVA (Temple View Apartments), married housing at BYU Hawaii and her place is a studio. And when I say studio, that's what I mean. You open the front door and 'hello bed'. It's right there. You can't miss it. Right next to the front door, the front window, in the living room, dining room, almost into the kitchen and right near the bathroom. Uh uh. I guess I've never lived in a studio apartment before and it is a different sight. Oh, wait, Doug just reminded me that when we lived in BYU housing for a summer ours could have been counted as a studio apartment because the one bedroom that was available to rent for the summer was 'locked' off by the permanent tenant and we slept on a fold-out couch for 2 months. But at least during the day we could fold it up and it looked like a living room. I can't remember where we put our clothes now. I'll have to ask him again when he passes back through the room. On Sunday after church, yes kids, I went to all 3 meetings, we went on a hike to Sacred falls. The area has been closed off a few years because of a mud/rock slide that killed 30 people who were back there at the time. Yep. And I'm supposed to be excited to go. And especially when I saw this sign many, many times. At least 10 times. Anyway, we didn't get there until 2:30 or 3:00 and Jill and Jonathan were kinda concerned that we would be stuck in the dark when we would be coming out, so we had to keep moving. Somewhere along the trip, Jonathan compared me to a Japanese tourist (all my picture taking). It's about a 45 minute hike each way. We had 2 flashlights, 3 cell phones and 2 cameras. We could 'flash' our way out of the dark if need be. The first part of the trail is open and flat, but once you start going into the crevice of the mountain the trail gets rocky, lots of ups and downs, slippery, an umbrella effect of the trees, so it is darkish to begin with, and etc.
We found this cool looking mountain gorge.
We continued dispite all of the warnings and the time worry and Sacred Falls was beautiful and tall.
Jason and Jonathan
SWEET! Two things I discovered on this trip. I have one SIL (son-in-law) who is a risk taker and encourages others to be one as well, and my other SIL is a brave, brave soul. He hadn't worn clothes that he wanted to swim in and so Jill offered a part of her swimsuit that was fairly stretchy. Too funny. We were all dying of laughter. I want him to know that I have contrained myself in what pictures should have been added here on my blog. But I could have posted an 'R' rating. However, I did include one picture that has moved it into the 'PG' rating, although you might have to enlarge the second darker photo below and get the full monty - I mean effect of the swimsuit hilarity. The water was pretty cold in the pond there and to get to the wall to climb up and jump you have to swim through it. First one in - Jason. Second one, Jonathan, then Jill and then Doug. Oh, my feet got wet. After a while Jeff got in. So, once you reach the other side you have to climb a little ledge, probably 3 or 4 feet high. You can jump from there, but it's not too exciting and of course the boys have to have excitement to brag about. The next spot you can jump from is up the rock wall and you literrally have to have finger holds, toe holds and shimmy moves to get up there. Jason went up about 10 feet and jumped, then Jonathan said that at the half way point and there was a ledge there and you can jump from there. Luckily, Jason the sneaky soul, told him to show him the way up. They both made it after some mom advise about NOT doing it. We have it on video so I'll try to get it uploaded. We stayed about 30 or 40 minutes and then headed out. Both ways- in and out- there was some kind of fruit that had fallen and the smell was horrific. Like a beer smell- yuck - and for those of you who work in restaurants - a behind the beer cooler smell. Double yuck. So, we had to pass by this twice. It was getting dark as we left so we hurried and we got out about 7:30pm. We must have stayed longer or hiked slower than we should have. We were zonked at the end of that day. Thank goodness we are on vacation. Monday we plan to go surfing and snorkling.

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

A very good blog post but there were a few minor errors in the content that you posted. First off we didn't start the hike until about 4:30 or 5:00 since church doesn't even get out until 3:00. So it really didn't take us too long. Second, Jeff was actually the second person to enter the water at the bottom of Sacred Falls followed by me, Jill, and than Doug. I know they are minor errors but I didn't want you to offend Jeff by not giving him the credit that he is due. Can't wait for the upcoming posts.

Jonathan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.