Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Memorial Day - Part 2 of 3

Monday, Memorial Day, 5:10am - "Mom, have you seen my shoes? Do you know where they are"? As I mentioned a while back, Allan, my youngest, recently turned 13. In years only. He still is the babe (?) of the family and still needs his 'momma'. I'm not sure I wanted to hear his lovely voice so early in the morning on a day that could have meant sleeping in a little bit more, but yet, here he was, in my bedroom, close to my ears, at 5:10am. "Umm.....I think I tripped over them in my bathroom last night. Check there." "Nope, there not there mom". "Okay, check under my computer desk, maybe they're there". "Uh-uh, not there either". "Allan, think for just a minute where you took them off yesterday, I don't wear them". "Hmm....I can't remember, that's why I'm asking you. Oh, wait, here they are. On Dad's side of the bed. I got them mom, don't worry about it. See ya."
And so my day began. I got up, got dressed and headed out for my ride. I decided that since it was Allan's first day using his gym membership, that I would ride down there and see him at work and possibly take a picture of him on the treadmill or stairstepper or whatever he was working on. I rode my bike there - 2.04 miles, tried to look inside the windows for him, the front desk boy looked questioningly at me, I decided not to click a few and rode back home, another 2.04 miles. Then I got busy on my curio cabinet. It wasn't going to need two coats, but I did touch up a few spots. Now, I forgot to mention that one of the glass 'windows' had been broken for about 4 months AND as I tried to take one of them out on Sunday, I cracked another one. Luckily we had bought a plexiglass sheet on Saturday (for the first window) when I went to try and decide on paint colors. And, luckily again, it ended up being big enough to replace both broken parts. Thanks Dougie for cutting them for me.

On my ride to the gym I had passed this spoon at the side of the canal. Now, who would have a spoon, a real metal one, at the side of a canal. The spoon looked sad, like he/she had lost it's purpose for life. So, yes, I picked it up. It rode home fine.

Was excited to find a new home..

I told it it would have to have a bath when we got home and it agreed, reluctantly, because it hadn't seen liquid of any kind for quite a while. But it seemed to enjoy it's swim immensely. A little scrubbing on it's backside and it was as good as new and ready to serve it's purpose. Cereal, ice cream, soup - here I come!

Also, I noticed on my ride the designs that are on the side of our freeway canal overpass:

A turtle and a snake . Cute.

And there was a cute Momma duck with her little ducklings sitting on the canal step. When I tried to get a closer picture they all dove in the water. Too cute.
Be sure to click on the first duck picture. The baby ducks are adorable!

3 comments:

DeWitts said...

There's really only one reason i can think of a metal spoon being by the canal - Meth. I would soak that thing in bleach for a few hours.

DeWitts said...

Oh, but congrats on your new home spoon! No drugs there to ruin your life, except for the occasional cough syrup or Imodium (how's that diarrhea coming Allan?).

becky d said...

Yeah, if you enlarge the spoon pic of the one in the sink, you can see the 'black' from a flame! Scary. Good thing you warned me. It has been totally 'detoxed'.