Friday, July 2, 2010

Thursday, July 1st - last vacation day

I am sore. We only had two things planned for today: kayak surfing and jumping off of the cliffs at Waimea.
When Jill came over this morning, she said Jonathan was going to stay and work because he didn't get it done the night before (because we had kept them too late) and for us to go ahead and go do something without him. Um, no. So we went to the unit he was tiling and we helped with a few tiles and then he got to a spot that he couldn't go any further without taking off a bathroom door. I'm wondering if that really was the case or that he thought we were doing a bad job tiling? Hm....I didn't think about that before. Did I say I was sore? Going up and down stairs here at the apartment place is killing me. We headed out to a spot called Goat's Island. (This is NOT a picture of any of us, but the only one I could find on the internet). To get to this spot you must literally walk with what ever you want to have with you, but you have to have it on your head because wading there was something of a challenge. While mostly at your waist, the water sometimes crashes into each other (both sides coming around the island) and it peaks about head-high. And walking on coraly, rocky, sandy, etc., ground was also mixed into the challenge. Luckily I made it with only a few scary slips. I had my ipod, phone, nintendo ds, and camera to worry about along with a towel, 2 magazines and a book. Oh, and of course some suntan lotion. Doug had brought his snorkling stuff and found a several starfish: Jill came was dropped off by Jonathan and Jason before the boys headed out to 'surf' in the kayak. The waves and the wind were pretty bad today and lets just say that a mom and wife were a little worried,
but bless the waterbottle. Long story, we'll just leave it at that. Right boys?....

Here Jill found something fun to bury:

After that fun experience we headed to the West/North shore area where we bought yummy sandwiches from a shop called Storts. It's near the famous Motsumoto Shaved Ice Place, where 2 1/2 years ago we went and I was not all that impressed by it: Long line, expensively priced ice, etc. BUT across the street from Motsumoto is another shaved ice place, I think it was called Aoki's, and yes, it didn't have all the variety of flavors of Motsumoto, but it was way less expensive and they put yummy ice cream down underneath your ice AND add condensed milk on top for a cream flavoring. I didn't get the ice cream nor topping and had the small size which was just the right size and it was only $1. Good buy. I can't remember if I wrote it yet, but I am so sore. We had left Doug snorkling at Sharks Cove again while we drove to get the sandwiches and when we got back poor Jonathan had the challange of trying to get Dougs attention so he could come join us to eat. It was at least a 15 minute activity for Jonathan to get noticed by Doug. Jonathan said he was about to jump in the water and swim to him. After that we ended up at the cliff jumping site. I swore with all my being that I was going to do it, but I chickened out. At least at the highest part and ended up jumping about 10 feet high. It took forever. I was slightly embarrassed about it. I'd like to blame it on my soreness, did I tell you I was sore yet? I cannot remember being this sore for a long, long time. I feel like I'm wearing braces or something on my legs. I can not bend my foot up without pain or point my toes with out pain. Essentially, a movement of any kind leaves me near tears.

Going up and down any stairs is a killer. (I have a picture of Allan in real pain, but I can't find it, so I resorted once again to a google image). This is how I felt with every movement of my legs. Back to the apartment for pazooki's and we are ready for bed at 9pm. Our flight leaves at 6:30 am, but starts boading about 6 - so that means check-in close to 5 - 5:15 - and that means leaving Jill's place by 4:15 - no later than 4:30! AAhhhhh! We have a 3 hour layover in Los Angeles and then we'll be home! I'm ready for it. Okay, did I say yet how sore I am? The Stairway to Heaven needs an elevator, or tram, or trolley, or ski lift thing-a-ma-giggy for those of us who would prefer to not be sore the next two days. Or it might end up being 3-4 days, who knows? I hope my body gets up in the morning. I would be willing to pay money to see the sights up from that mountain top.

3 things I learned that I don't need to bring on a Hawaiian vacation - perfume, jewelry and a curling iron. Just thought I'd let you know.
I'm going to add video to another post.

1 comment:

trudy said...

OH OH How I enjoyed all the updates of your trip. It has been fun following you and your family on your adventures. Thanks for sharing. Did you say that you were sore?????? LOL