Tuesday, July 27, 2010

I think we are home for good. At least for a while. I think Doug pre-bought a trip to Las Vegas and we have to use it up soon. Okay, so Friday Shannon, Allan and I (and Christal -Shannon's friend) headed up to Sawmill Flats campground for our ward outing. We made it to Miami about 1 hour east of the valley and 45 minutes until the campground and saw the dark black clouds just to the north of the city......right where we were headed. As we were in Safeway buying marshmallows and rootbeer the electricity went out. The lightning/thunder had been going on for a while but right as she hit my total button, the store went completely black. The store managers raced to guard the doors and after a minute or so the generators kicked in and the lights came back on. It took over five minutes though for the registers to reboot. We didn't need pop and marshmallows that bad but we did wait it out. We decided to get Subway for dinner/lunch and by then it was raining. We had to dash into the store, wait for a break in the rain and run back out. I told the kids to eat half of their footlong and to save the last half for dinner later. Of course that didn't happen and they were hungry later. I had NOT brought any extra food because we were planning on heading up to Snowflake for the 24th Pioneer Day Celebration right after the ward campfire program. It was 11pm before we left. Oh, when we first got to the campsite there were several families and it was misty sprinkling, but within an hour the blue sky was coming out and there was not a drop the rest of the time I was there. The only bummer was that it was slightly muddy.

Indian ? Allan Shan & Christal Allan & Heber
By the time we did get to Snowflake it was 2:15am and we were all tired and just crashed on couches. The next day was the parade, then volleyball, eating, games, eating, sleeping, eating again and whatever else came along. As mentioned in a previous blog I had hurt my ankle and so volleyball wasn't even in my choices of things to do. But I did have fun watching. Do you see that ice chest in front of Brian? Yeah, it's not filled with what you might think......This is what we wait for every year.....the firetruck. Take a close look at Brian, yep, he's throwing balloons AT the truck. Then of course they shoot us even more. That's why I'm across the street taking pictures. Although they squirt both sides of the street.
Doug serving, Brian doing some amazing move.
Later Doug's brother Alan took me down to his office and x-rayed my ankle. I hadn't ever gone here in the valley because you're worried that you'll look like a ditsy old lady who stupidly stood on a stool and fell. Anyway, my ankle was fractured and along with the bad sprain it was bad enough that I should have had it looked at. However, because it had been over 2 weeks since it happened it was starting to mend, so he put me in this like lace up sock type thing. It has helped the swelling tremendously and helps me walk without turning my ankle too much. Yeah! I think I know the difference now between a break and a fracture - one completely breaks through the whole bone/the other can just be a small chip or fraction of the bone braking off. Something like that anyways.
And of course the trip wouldn't be complete without finding a heart. Peeling potatoes for Sundays meal I found a bad spot and I was using the peeler trying to get it out and wah-laa - there it was. Keep your eyes open for me! Hearts are always welcome.

1 comment:

DeWitts said...

There are grandkid perks to a Las Vegas trip you know... Although I might recruit you to paint if you come.