Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day Fun - Part 1 of 3

What started out today to be a pretty much non-busy day, ended up with a totally stuffed Monday. I have been wanting to paint something in my home green for a while now and what ended up being the guinea pig of my desire for green was one of my curio cabinets.
The larger one.
One of the problems was 'What shade of green would go good with my dark/brick red living room wall We of course couldn't do anything near a pine green - too Christmasy: not bright green - it would look like a red-eyed sticky toed green tree frog, (watch the Diego show): and not a deep dark because it would darken my room even more. So, it came down to a light/slightly grey green. Saturday, when I went to buy the paint, I got nervous and bought a light grey color and then a really light green, almost to a nonexistance green. Oh, side note: Home Depot now have these small jars of already mixed paint, mostly of their popular colors, they cost $2.50 a jar. I came home and painted both samples on old dresser drawers that we had begged from our neighbor, Ben. (Thanks Bishop Ben). I put both drawers on
top of the curio cabinet and made the family vote.
The slightly green one won out, but they all thought it could go a little bit darker. Back to Home Depot; two more paint sample jars. I've now spent $10. I painted both drawers again, and once again, the darker of the two one out. My brain was tired so I quit for the day, but had in my mind what paint I was going to buy later; Martha Stewart, Sea Glass Green.



I forgot to go back on Saturday night and so now it was Sunday. Hmm.... I really thought about it hard, but I broke the Sabbath and went to buy the paint. I once again got nervous and so I went with the softer shade of the second batch of samples and that was Behr brand Softest Juniper. The reason I felt like I needed to break the Sabbath, was because my grandkids, who are living here for a little while, were out of town until Monday and I needed two days to get this done. So, there you go. I sinned. I have a week to repent. Anyway, it turned out cute!


I know it looks white, but it's Softest Juniper.

I'm still not done. I think I'm going to antique it a little bit. It needs something else on it to make it have dimension. Oh, also I had found this piece of material at Goodwill, I'm sure it was the $1 day sale item, or it might have been from Deseret Industries, I was there sometime this past week too. Anyway, when I saw it I fell in love with it. The design is nice, but it was the colors I loved. I thought I could make a few throw pillow and throw those pillows somewhere nice. Well, while I was about to paint my curio cabinet, I saw that I needed a new piano bench cover.
Wah -laa.
Another project done. Luckily, Doug did the compressor staple gun thing for me, I hate using it. Another item I had picked up at Home Depot a couple of weeks ago was some outside lights. We have such a dark driveway I had asked many times to get some walkway lights put up and so I took it into my own hands and found some I liked. Sorry Doug. But hey, another project for you! The solar lights were the kind that came with 'sticks' to put in the ground and then had a crane hook-like thing to hang them on. In my mind I thought about hanging them on this ledge that sticks out from our house but as we sampled that, it looked funny and so we, meaning Doug, ended up hanging them closer to the planters that we have up the walk. Thanks Dougie!
Another project done! With the flash onNow off.
It looks as though light number 3 or 4, which ever way you are counting is not working. Hm. I'll have to visit Home Depot again tomorrow for a replacement bulb. I wonder what other projects I will find?

1 comment:

trudy said...

I really enjoyed your story on the projects, and my favorite the "LOST SPOON". It needed a new home, nicely done.