Monday, May 24, 2010

Great windy weekend...

Thanks to Jeff and Carolyn who have a friend named Fred..... we had a great weekend up in Heber/Overgaard. Doug and the boys had our wards Father & Son's overnighter (I know that's not what we are supposed to call it any more, but sitting here, I can't think of the right name....something with Priesthood in the title), just a few miles beyond Payson. It worked out where we, Shannon, I and Jeff, my SIL (son-in-law), dropped them off Friday evening and then we continued up to the cabin. Carolyn, boys and Katie had gone up earlier that day. Okay, it's not really a cabin, but I'll add some pictures and you can judge for yourselves. The porches on this cabin/home were incredible. I really could have lived out on the porches all weekend, except for the wind. Now, I know wind. Doug, hailing from Snowflake, introduced me to wind the first weekend I met his folks. January 1979. This wild wind I had never experienced living here in the valley. Crazy wind. Insane wind. Maniac wind. So I thought I knew wind. No, no, my friend. This wind was tearing the metal roof off of an airplane hanger.


We could really have been standing towards the wind and leaning, leaning hard into it and never fall.
If the cabin had been by the beach, this is what we would have looked like. Okay, I'm kidding. Just a little. However, our lips have come back here to the valley very wind-burnt and my hair while there was in knots 10 times a day. I tried to remember to put my hood up (doesn't really work if there is no string to tie it down and it blows off incessantly) or to wear a baseball cap, luckily found on a hat rack at the cabin, strapped so tightly that you'd come back in the cabin with a ridge on your forehead that would take 3 hours to clear up. I mostly just took pictures of my family daring to play horseshoes in the what? oh, yeah, wind. We really had a wonderful time. I know I don't sound like it, me being a jokester, but I would go back in a minute and actually live there forever.

These pictures do it no justice.


Here's the porch! 50 feet? Maybe more. My favorite part! Our horseshoe tournaments.
A few of the participants...


I think these faces mean, bad throws...

And these means - good throw.....ringer or leaner!
Other activities included:

Stump posing... Tree hugging....

Rock jumping.....Quad riding..

and chasing them, apparently.

I have more to add, but I'll do it in my next blog.
Oh, my walk today, yes walk, not ride, was 1.96 miles. Sounds sad, but I felt good. I went at 5:30am. Weather was great!

No comments: