Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Wow. One whole week has passed? I can't believe it. Slightly embarrassing. I'm sure I've got a lot to tell you all. I know on Friday I missed my bike riding - but I did it every day! So, here's the big news.....we have a garden. Not a little 4x4 garden. Nope we've really done it up. I will have to say that ever since we built Doug's workshop in the backyard we have planned to have a garden. Um.....that shop was built while Brian was on his mission. So, about 6 years ago? Yep, it's been in the planning that long. The size is about 8x15 feet in the very back and then we have a side wall that is 2x20. We warned the kids that we were going to have them for 1 1/2 hours on Saturday and to plan (and be excited) to help out. We were slow getting started, but once we did they were great. Except for Jason. He seemed to disappear as soon as we went outside. Katie said she saw him in Sunday clothes and told him that she wasn't sure we needed to 'bless' the ground. (We found out later he went to a baptism). (and then of course he HAD to stay to the luncheon - he was invited). He, I think, will be on the first 'weed' patrol. And with all this rain going on, there will be weeds. Okay, back to the garden. Friday night Doug and Allan stayed out late and finished putting up a fence (oh, Jason did help with that earlier in the week), so Toby wouldn't be able to get back and dig up everything. A problem we've had in the past with plants. And also, so he wouldn't leave anything of his behind......

Here are some photos to tell the story.
Okay, so there was a little bit of goofing off from Allan, but he did try the grinder!!!
Finished product.
While Doug and I were at Home Depot getting more plants the girls got 'ready' for farming!!!!....Silly girls

If you see up close, Shannon has 'freckles'. (I knew my overalls would come in handy someday. Here's the actual work.

Alright, some of them might just be posing for the camera. But they actually did a huge amount of digging, raking, planting and watering, etc.

Two pictures of our finished garden.
This first one is called square foot gardening and then the back wall is the regular kind of gardening. We will see which one, if either, of them, do better growing our plants. We hear once you do the square foot gardening that you will never go back to the old way. Too much wasted space and water. We love the look of it so hopefully we can have success this year.
This is Allan's choise of garden 'stuff'. Do any of you know how long it takes to grow a grapevine? I'm nervous. Maybe he'll be on his mission before any fruit shows...

Now most of you know my obsession with hearts.
I swear I don't go out and look for these things, they just come along. Take a look at this: It is a package of rhubarb seeds that I couldn't open, so Doug stepped in and did it for me. LOOK! He ripped a heart 'hole'! And as most of you know too, Doug is not one to 'make' a heart or is even slightly happy when I find one and then we have to stop what we are doing so I can take a picture of it.....but LOOK! a heart hole. Amazing Doug! Thanks!

No comments: