Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Yes. On. One full week of bike riding! I think I'm done. Off. No, just joking! The other night my daughters, Carolyn, Katie and Shannon and I went for a 3 mile - 9pm bike ride, to make sure I got it in everyday. (Okay, I missed Saturday and Sunday, but I'm sure for good reasons). Shannon called the purple bike, which was okay for all the rest of us because it is a 24" bike and the rest of the bikes are all 26" and made for speed and endurance. Now, the purple bike too has gears, but really just set for a youngster to get to and from school, which I'm sure the bike maker imagined only a few blocks from the lad's home. A short time into the ride, Shannon was lagging quite a bit, complaining and sure she couldn't finish, and she continued to do all 3 of these things through-out the ride. I, thinking it was her 'drama-queen' personality coming out of her, volunteered to ride 'the purple-pedal-pusher' the rest of the way home and she could have my bike. I think we had reached the mile marker and so we only had 2 more miles to go. Driving around our neighborhood you would consider it a fairly level terrain, however, riding a bike that had no real working gears, you could immediatly feel the inclines and massive hills we are surrounded by. My legs were dying, but could I tell that to Shannon and have her 'drama' nullified? No, I suffered for two long, long, miles. I was almost in tears. The girls tried to go slow or at least turn around a few times to make me feel like I was part of the bike 'brigade'.
And, I knowing that the last little bit of our road is a downhill slant, thought to myself that my loving daughters would somehow let me come in first. No. They didn't. Instead by the time I got to our garage, there they were: laughing, joking around, starting to go into the house, not even concerned if I could make it the last half of a block. Gee-ma-nee! In the future, first of all, I'll know NOT to go if I get the 'purple-pedal-pusher' and second, I'll go it alone.

3 comments:

Salsa Mama said...

Hey, good for you for going!! You can add our blog to your list if you wanna. :) www.theanticsofus.blogspot.com

~Sally

Carrie Selin said...

I've never really liked purple anyway. This just gives me one more reason to avoid it like the plague. Keep on pedaling!

Amber Howard said...

Ha ha... Love your story. Jeanette Jackson, Stephanie Jackson, and myself use to ride bikes every morning and we had some funny encounters with a goose along the canal. So stay clear of there and you'll be okay. If you ever need a riding buddy, let me know. I need to get motivated to get healthy too!