Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Okay, embarrassing to tell, but since only about 5 of you read this, I'm letting it out. Our Stake is having a whole year long theme ' Health is a Habit'. We are to set goals to get fit. It's not really to lose weight, unless that's your goal, but more to inspire you to change your life style and become a healthier you! So, the embarrassing part is my weight. I stand 5' 1" (and a 1/2) really, and I weigh 139. I fluctuate between 135 and 140, luckily you caught me on a NOT 140 day. Yeah, I am vertically challenged and I'm horizontally spreading. In my mind I'm okay, but the flab and flap are telling me differently. Believe me, I'm not trying to lose weight because I know I would gain it all back and then some, but I just want to let the flap and flab know that it can no longer surge and wave as I walk. And talk. And blink. And drink. And just even as I lie prone. So, Monday was to be my start day. I did really good. I thought about all the different ways I would be inspired to do my tightening up. My mind really got a good workout. And that was about it. Luckily, Shannon, my #7 child, turned 14 and we bought a Wii game called Just Dance. I'm not promoting Wii or the game, just that luckily we bought it. So, for our game that night we played Just Dance and I did at least 6 minutes of 'trying' to get my groove on without my family laughing. (I'm sure their stomachs got a few minutes of intense workout time). Okay, day one, done.
Tuesday I went on a 3 mile bike ride. How do I know for sure it was 3 miles long? Well, for 2 years, I walked the same walk with a dear friend. My husband, the number guru guy, didn't think it was 3 miles, so I made him jump in his vehicle and drive the same route that we walk and guess what? three miles exactly. Hmmm.....sometimes he should just believe me. Especially, if I'm doing any kind of exercise (movement), he should just give me a little pat and say, "that's great honey". Off. (that's a joke to Carolyn).
Yeah! And today I did the 3 mile ride again. I have to say, I'm surprised I'm not sore. I thought for sure my thighs would be screaming 'NO, NOT AGAIN'! But wonder of all wonders, I made it for the 3 miles again AND I think if I'd have pushed it, I might have made it again. Hey Evan and Shanna, you've always inspired me. Maybe you'd have that baby by now if you were still out there riding to Bridal Veil Falls.

2 comments:

Dave & Susie Crandell said...

Yay, way to go, Becky! I'm anxious to see wedding pictures, since we were unable to attend. (Jill's wedding, not yours!)

evans said...

Yeah, the best thing about riding bikes is that it's a non load-bearing exercise. Meaning you don't have to support your body weight, your bike does. So that helps keep you a little less sore. But you had better believe that if you ride some monster hills that you'll be sore.