Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Tuesday, January 19th, 2010. I have to sadly admit that yesterday, Monday, I didn't get my bike ride in. I totally let the morning just pass by. It is a little harder to go when my peep's are home for a holiday and we just sit around goofing off. However, I had in my mind to go to Bulldog Canyon and ride our little 'Getty-up' , as Jason has lovingly named it. Here is a pictue of it:
I had informed everyone about going to the Canyon last week when I knew a day off of school was coming up, but most everyone said the usual, "What, I didn't know we were doing anything." "I got plans with my friends. " "We're gonna be so bored cause only 2 people can ride at a time." "I'm not sure I wanna go". Yeah, whatever. Get your little keister in the car in 5 minutes or I'm leaving you and you'll all be sorry. The wrath of a mom is a pretty scary thing alright. I love being a mom. Anyways, Dougie comes home from work early, we throw some snacks in the car, take the bocce ball game, a few tennis balls and we're off. Amongst the people that ended up going: Doug, me, Carolyn and 3 boys, Katie, Shannon and Allan. Call me mean, or the meanest mom in the world, for making some of them go, but we all had fun. Weather-wise it was the best. A smidgeon cold. Totally overcast. And one or two drops of misty rain. It was great. We had parked by a hill and everyone, but me, climbed to the top of it. After being there about 2 1/2 hours we had all had enough and we had to skidadle back into town and have FHE with the Cox Family. It was so-o cold there at the park. But we managed to bar-b-que some food and have a couple games of bocce ball and then 'teeter-toter' king of the hill. Or in this case king of the teeter-toter. I think Jason won. Okay, so no bike ride yesterday. Now, today, I had all the intentions of doing it earlier, but I went to a funeral and then came home and did laundry, did some baking, went to the post office, etc. Excuses. All of them. However. There is a good ending to this story. Around 7pm, I told myself and anyone that heard, that I was leaving for my ride. It was raining. Raining, and more raining. Were my desires dampened? No, I did wait until the rain sounded like it was letting up and then I took off. 3 miles in less than 20 minutes. Rain and all. Luckily it was a light rain and it was quiet and clean and perfect. Except for one tiny thing. As we all remember in our younger days, looking out of the car window and seeing someone with a funny wet stripe up their backs. What's that you ask? I'd always think, silly, silly people. Is it sweat? Why don't bike makers put guards on the back tires? Sure, they aren't really needed up front, but on the back side = yeah, they are needed. And yes, I came home with the stripe.

1 comment:

Carrie Selin said...

You look nice in stripes. FYI, Doug has a solution to the "sweat" spot when riding AND sweating. He tucks a little hand towel under his shorts/pants. This eliminates any visible signs of - umm - well, sweating. You go girl.