Friday, September 3, 2010

Mom's good buy

Thursday morning Mom called and asked where this store was located that I had told her about. It is really just a dump spot for contractors who haven't used all of their inventory and need a place to sell it. Thanks to Jonathan and Jill, we had heard about this place - Al's Building Materials back in November last year. I have since made a trip out here with my son Jason who was looking for matching doorknobs for his home and knew that they would also have kitchen cabinet handles for a pretty fair price. I needed to go out there too, to look for a new bathroom vanity, so off we went.
As you can see Mom has lots of cabinet door and drawers, I think it was 27 in her kitchen alone! Right now she has the 'open just by grabbing the edge' style and she felt like they were getting a little gunky, so she wanted to put handles on them. She also wanted to look for ones to go in her bathrooms.
So, we went hunting. Now these pictures, bless camera technology, make the store look pretty light inside, but I can tell you we almost felt like we needed a flashlight to see into some of the shelves we had to dig through. We are hunting and hunting, And guess what? She found close to 40 handles! At least enough matching ones that will go into the kitchen and then another couple of styles to go into her bathrooms! What a find! I had to ask what they would charge us and the 'cashier' said 75cents each. Mom, purchasing with cash, go even a deeper discount. So, for 40+ handles, she only paid around $32. (I'll have to have her fill in the full details in a comment, so be sure you read those). Here's the neat packaging they send your purchase home in.....
I looked on Home Depot and Lowes to get a comparison of prices and the ranged from $1.09 up to $3.69 (some even over that).


Looks sweet!

Funny side story. We had already purchased the 'loot', left the store and headed home - first stopping at a JoAnn's - when we started talking about Mom doing a blog about her neat find. She was sad she hadn't brought her camera - but guess who did? So, we went back to Al's and shot this video and the pictures.........too funny! Wow, ignore my scary eye look here.....


1 comment:

Shirl and Bill said...

great! What a store(???) Dust, dirt, no organization etc.
When I got up to the checkout counter(????)the girl gave me a handi wipe for my hands...haha
So whoever reads this and heads my way better bring a drill....get it?