Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Snowflake doctor trip

I can't believe I'm slackin' on posting - but we are having days that are busier than usual. Last Monday, the 21st, I drove my son Allan up to see Uncle Alan in Snowflake for a doctors visit. He has been complaining about his heart and he's had a serious cough for several weeks. The drive up was turning out more snow-filled than I thought it would be.

Our first glimpse of the snow to come.



Now more.






And lots more. Here was my traveling companion. The coat was up to block the sun.









Down to one lane open and then almost no lanes at all. Crazy. Okay, you Utah folks, I'm from Mesa (although we did live in Flagstaff for 5 years), and my snow driving is not used as much so it was a bit scary for me.
Now, the other thing I need to add is that I don't have very good windshield wiper blades. I had only two spots I could look through when I was following someone and the 'crap-ola' was flinging back on to my car. AND to top it off, my wiper washer fluid ran out about halfway up this mountain, where I stupidly tried to fling some water from my water bottle out onto my windshield. Most of that came back inside our car.
Oh, side note, you HAVE to watch one of our favorite youtube videos called 'Kid History'. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80entLldZOg I hope this is the right one. We love it and my kids can quote verbatim the whole movie. Too funny.
It got down to 24 degrees. Cold. And here is a shot of my window once I ran out of wiper fluid and had been 'slushed' a few times by cars. (make sure you make this one big)Once we get to Snowflake, the first thing we do is stop at one of their two gas stations to clear my window and guess what? The little black containers that hold the window washer scrubie thing - the water was FROZEN !! I tried to lift it out of the container and the whole stinking container lifted right off of the beam it was connected to! I wish I'd taken a picture of that - but it was a bit cold standing there.
We finally get to his appointment.









So Allan has his heart checked out and he's fine. (surprised anyone?) But he does have a small extra nerve? clump that fires off at weird times so it makes his heart feel like it flutters a little bit. Now, don't quote me - but after Uncle Alan explained the real medical terms for what it was - this is what registered in my layman's mind and that's how I'm going to describe it to you.
Allan was so worried about her tearing these little tabs off and pulling the hair, mostly on his legs.

We brought Grandpa DeWitt back down to Mesa with us.

No comments: