Monday, July 18, 2011

San Francisco

Doug and I have spent the whole weekend in San Francisco. It has been nice and with the overcast (foggy) days, of course, I have really enjoyed it! We got here about noon on Friday. We enjoyed riding the trolley a couple of times; went to Fisherman's Wharf; saw the famous winding road; went on a boat cruise to the Golden Gate Bridge; at lunch at Boudin's; got to go to the Aquarium on the Bay; rode a city bus line (2 actually) to a science museum at the Golden Gate Park; and of course went to a Goodwill store. Hey, that's how I enjoy my vacation time, okay? Geeze.....

I will try to share a few pictures without going overboard....I just want you to remember that I had a huge blog about a week ago with only 2 pictures, so I might just be doing the opposite thing here.
Riding the 'BART', it's about a 30 minute ride from the airport. $8per person. Better than a taxi - right? First look at a trolleyFirst ride on a trolley - the view behind us: And in front of us... There are rules to follow on the Cable Car. Also, there was this public toilet facility that you would walk into and the door would slide closed and then it gave you 20 minutes to do your thing. After that time it would automatically open the door (it would give you a 2 minute warning bell). The instructions were on the outside. What was interesting is that once you came out - nobody could go right in after you - you had to let the door close on it's own and it would 'de-sanitize' itself before the door opened and the next person could go in. People really had to want to use it I guess because it was right next to the Cable Car line that seemed to never end. I couldn't get over the steepness of the roads and the tiny garages (can you even call them that?).A rare find , an alleyway with a beautiful garden, next to the houses that are built right next to each other - literally - their outside walls are NOT shared, but built right next to each other. An amazing feat I would love to watch! Lombard Street.We didn't eat here, but was interesting to me was that you would be walking along and all of a sudden find a familiar eatery just in one of these older buildings. No tall signs letting you know it's there. They were all like this; Subway, McD's, Taco Bell, etc. We tried not to eat at anything we could get back home. And, of course, we had to scout out a Supermarket( - no kids, not for sandwich stuff this time! Shocker, I know.) Not the corner ones in the downtown area but the big regular ones. They are hard to come by! We had to walk up 6 blocks to get to a decent one! And when I mean up - I mean uphill! But coming back to the hotel was a lot nicer. I will say, if I lived in San Fran, I think I would have amazing calf muscles and my thighs would be toned. Hmm....should we all move here? The bridge cruise: Fisherman's Wharf:Hey kids....should we buy one of these? We found Zoltar and Bubba Gump Shrimp restaurant. A giant CLAW game;. These last pictures are of us at 2 different aquariums, both really nice. Dad is touching a stingray and a tiger shark.... You can't really tell here, but this fish was huge!What is this thing?You could climb under this tank. My favorite was definatly the jellyfish - and no - this picture is NOT upside down - that is how this particular jellyfish swim. I have a video but I can't get it to down load so I might try and put it one youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUd6I4TbCNU try this. And this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuI_2LoueG0 and this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q7Gr47qt7Q

2 comments:

Shirl and Bill said...

Nice photos. Nice little get-away.....

DeWitts said...

How fun!!