Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Chair of Kevin

I've taken on a project I'm not sure I'll finish in time. Several years ago.....and I'm talking when Kevin was back in high school, so at least 4 - possibly 5 years, he went dumpster diving and found a pretty neat chair. The shape of the chair was great and sturdy but the material was gross so we cleaned it with our carpet cleaning machine and of course we teased him a lot. When Kevin left on his mission the chair got moved out to the garage and then out to the workshop. That is nearly the ghostyard of unused furniture, some of the unused pieces have been 'donated' to the bonfires held out in the desert. Saturday I cleaned my craft room and used Dougs new Christmas gift - a shopvac vacuum - which is very powerful to clean the craft room floor. When we went to hang it out in his workshop I saw how lonely the chair looked and decided to try and cover it before Kevin comes home. Um......10 days. (okay, only 8 days now, but when I started it, it was 10 days)I finished the cushion part in one day but the rest is going VERY SLOWLY! I thought it would be a simple cover job, but no, it is stapled every where, and not just one staple here and there, many, many, many staples. I'm hoping once I get the gross material off and the new pieces cut, it will be an easy put back together job. I forgot to take a before picture of the whole chair, but here are some 'during' pictures.
In taking off the back and underside pieces I discovered poop. I would have guessed mouse, being that it lived in the garage for a while, but the size suggests gerbil. The old owners pet possibly? Gross. I was thinking of just covering up certain pieces of the old material with a slip cover new piece. Not any more, mind you, it's all coming off. Bummer. I've had to take very detailed pictures so when I do the refinishing I can review the pictures in the steps of how I got it off. I think I have nearly 30 pictures of my step by step process. Say a special pray for me.

1 comment:

Shirl and Bill said...

I'm impressed!!
Neat sewing machine!!!!