Saturday, November 16, 2013

Auction mayhem.....

Believe me, I've been around, just busy.  After quitting my job October 1st, which ended up being the 17th, because my boss struggled to find replacements and then there were those on vacation and on workmans comp leave because of injuries - ANYWAY, I've been busy.  
I've decided to start into upholstering full time.  I am really loving it, although frustrating, because I don't have all the necessary skills/equipment/patience needed yet.  

Now, I guess I really need to back up about 1 year ago.  I have always loved auctions.  One of my first vivid memories had to have been when I was 5 yrs old or so, and went to an auction in the little town of Mayer, Arizona.  My dad had allowed my sisters and I to buy one thing each.  One of my sisters, I think it was Trudy, bought these stuffed Flintstone people, you know Fred & Wilma, which were kind of like pillows.  They were pretty cool.  My purchase was an old radio.  A super cool old radio.  And if it was old then, it must be REALLY old now.  I loved it then and I love it now.    
Okay, back to the year ago......I started going to the Mesa Auction located here in downtown Mesa and got brave to bid on a few things here and there.  And, now I'm hooked.  I LOVE IT!  Once in a while you can get a great deal.  Especially on furniture that has seen its prime.  There have been a few pieces that I've sold with out doing any work on them and that is good too!  Like I said, I'm enjoying just the hunt and find of it all and then the 'trying' to sell the items that I have.  Or the fixing up that they need.  Needless to say, I have inventory to 'work on' all the time because my selling skills are lacking.  
Okay, now back to today.  Besides the Mesa Auction, I have found two auctions in Phoenix.  They both have online bidding which is fun but can be difficult to know exactly what things look like - and things are sold AS IS.  Yes, they do give a preview day, but being located in Phoenix, I don't always get a chance to get over there.  Thus, this is what this blog is about.  Thank you for listening to the long explanation to get to this story.
I saw this rocking chair online - but in a very small picture.  These here, in my blog are obviously closer and detailed.  I put in this poly-wood sign found on the rocking chair for two reasons.  Yep, it's made out of a plasticy woodlike substance.  Hmmm.....Then, secondly, online you couldn't see the cracks and broken legs (I know, I know, I should have previewed the piece) but I didn't.  
 The rocking chair in the picture online for the auction was sitting on a large desk.  It was described as a front office lobby desk.  No dimensions were given.  I know, I should have previewed.  So, the night of the auction, I bid on the lot (chair and desk) because no one else had and the opening bid was $5.  Yep, again....I won the lot. $5.00.   We had to pick up the items on Monday.  (We, Doug and I, had also bid on other items that we won).
I told Doug we needed to take the big trailer to pick up the desk and he kind of guffawed at that suggestion but I insisted.  And guess what?!  The big lobby desk BARELY fit on a 12 foot trailer!  It was crazy - embarrassing really - especially when I saw the crappy chair.  But for $2.50 maybe I can take it apart and use it as a template to make a REAL rocking chair of wood.  Not a Poly-Wood fake.

So we get the desk to the shop, it is one massive hunk of wood with a computer hole in it?  We decided to make it into a material/workshop table for me,  however, 12 feet was a 'NO WAY IN ****' was that going to get into my shop area.  I talked Doug into chopping the last 4 feet off, adding a new end panel, bracing it with two new 4x4 pieces and then 4 wheels to move this puppy around my shop!  It's great!  As you can see it is slightly curved and the ONLY way to get it into my shop was through the front double door and the widest door into my shop was just a smidgen over 36".  The fit was TIGHTer than TIGHT, but I trusted Jasons measurements that it would fit and it did - BARELY.  I forgot to take a picture of the finished project in my office but I will add it later.  
 Thanks for listening (reading) this long blog.  I will blog about some of my items - some I still have, but some that are sold as well.  I'll need to add in our trip to see Brian and Celynda and family too!  Loves.  On.